Monday, April 28, 2008

A FINAL WORD ON HARRY POTTER:

The following are two user reviews lifted from yahoo! regarding the second Harry Potter film, "Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secretions..." Oh, I meant "Secrets."

give me my money back. NOW!!!
by fatguy_bob (
movies profile) (Jun 8, 2005)
1 of 3 people found this review helpful
what the hell is this crap.It was so bad I rather watch blues cluses.you can call me at 1-800-your-mom.this movie sucks big balls

by totus_08 (movies profile) Nov 16, 2003 9 of 15 people found this review helpful
This movie was better than the first! It had lots of action! The best part was when Harry was fightin the giant snake! Since I liked this one and the first I'll probably like the third and you'll probably like it too!!

You may be wondering why I chose those two Pulitzer Prize level reviews. I did it because I felt it symbolized best the type of person who would even be caught dead watching a film based on a Harry Potter novel, whether they hated it or loved it. What amused me throughout the undeserved success of the franchise was the tendency for those of us who found it be utter crap to descend into arguing with the pseudo-intellects that found it to be great literature.

It was neither great nor literature. It was, instead, the product of a mediocre talent who tapped into the psychology of children at a time when they only thing they were reading was the back of a video game package. Brilliant marketing does not always equal great art. Viewers of "Friends" should know that, but most of them probably don't.

I suppose what bothered me most about the Potter books was the cult that developed around them. If children wanted to read them, I was fine with that because they are still developing their tastes. Adults are a different matter entirely. They should be more well-rounded. They should have the ability to discern by the numbers mediocrity from quality. They should know that entertaining is not enough.

They should.

They don't. Instead of allowing the Potter books to be a childrens' distraction that would hopefully develop their brains into something that will be able to enjoy reading, they got into it as well. Thus massive numbers of soccer moms could be seen reading the bloated non-epics, talking about how well-written they were and lamely claiming they were reading them because their children were.

Even worse, they started speaking in those ridiculous, insipid made-up expressions that only an English writer would feel comfortable creating. "Muggles." "Mud-bloods." Indeed. Here's one I just made up: Stupidmotherfuckingharrypottertardwithnoideawhatrealwritingisallabout! If you say it three times, an ancient evil will be released! What is that evil? The Great Pseudo-intellectual monster Media Saturation!

Oh, I forgot. It's already been unleashed. It looks kinda like this:





Yikes, eh?
People I would have thought were otherwise reasonably intelligent swore by these novels. "They're really not that bad," they'd say through half-embarrassed facial expressions. What they were really saying was, "I love them but I know I shouldn't." To be fair, I've found that most Potter readers tend to be people who don't normally get into fantasy. Most of them don't know anything about the genre outside of movies with dragons and wizards. And even though I could name a dozen books off the top of my head that feature neither, most of them can't.
Those of us who can don't usually find anything interesting about a child with magic powers living in a normal world but attending a school for wizards. Children should never be protagonists in stories aimed at adults. I am inflexible on that point. But it makes sense that moms wouldn't have a problem with that.
I once tried to inflict upon myself the reading of a Harry Potter novel. As with Anne Rice, I got through a few terribly written pages of meaningless tripe and put the book back. Then I tried to suffer through some of the films to see if they translated better into that format. I got through a few minutes of the first one. When I heard the line, "Well, me mum was a muggle and me dad was a wizard" I turned off the TV. Nothing insults my intelligence more than made-up lingo in a real world background. Stupid. Lazy. Lame. If one thinks hard enough, every day words can be made so much more effective.
A few weeks ago I tried to watch another Potter film. I didn't know it was the one reviewed by by yahoo! friends above until I looked up the plot. As I sat there, I realized something about the films. The kids are terrible actors. I mean, truly terrible. I always thought kids from the UK has a leg up in the realm of thespian art, but not these little fuckers. The effects were TV-level at best and the story was practically non-existent. I watched it for over an hour, trying to see the golden turd in the brass toilet. It got worse. Nothing rankles by nut-hairs more than pounding, orchestral crescendos with nothing going on around them.
By the time I could no longer stomach this exercise in futility, I realized how good my instincts had been. Harry Potter doesn't work on any level that doesn't include being a child or a media-addled mommy.
Anybody else should be ashamed of themselves~

13 comments:

lccb81 said...

Shame on me! What the hell was I thinking???? How could I love Harry Potter???? HOW COULD I? I. SHOULD. DIE.

But you're right, the kids are terrible actors (some of them get better).

(I <3 HP FOREVER. me+Hermione G. BFF she's HOT in a pre-pubesecent sort of way - though she's legal now... SQUEE!!)

American Guy said...

and hey, if you can't trust a movie review by a guy named 'fatguy bob', who can you trust?

Oh, and your word verification thingy today was 'dhxzeqel' - suspiciously similar to 'sequal'

no, i don't have a point.

~AprilD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~AprilD said...

Lccb!!! You did not just Squee!!! SQUEE!! :D

And How the hell you ever got that picture of me on my couch, I'll never know. *Starts to get paranoid*

Tim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim said...

Wow, that makes two veiled references to my post on "Friends".

Cool. But the least you suckers could do is insert links to the relevant material on my blog.

Ungrateful %^&$^%^%*!

[Brilliant marketing plus a damn funny show with suberb sit-com writing comes pretty darn close to "art" these days.]

Anyway, I've never read the Potter books and never plan to. Though I have grudgingly watched some of the Potter films with my age appropriate kids because they enjoy the series.

I think you've just crushed AG's (non-existent?) soul with this commentary, seeing that he is an admitted fan of the Potter books.

American Guy said...

my non-existant soul is strong enough to weather contrary opinion.

good marketing does not art make.

i think i'm going to start lacing my comments with random lyrics that have nothing to do with the comment itself. Just because.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.

Anonymous said...

I hope your book is better than Friends and Harry Potter.

I don't think anyone is trying to act like Friends or HP are anything even resembling art. It's just fun. Period. I don't think either claimed to be high art either.

You on the other hand do claim to be something of an artist so....

I hope your book is good. I really do. As evidenced by your own post here critics (those who can actually think critically not negatively about writing) will not be kind.

Tim said...

I'm looking forward to reading scribe-o's book. I'm pretty sure his writing style will be just as good in the book (better!) than it is on this here blog o' his.

Anonymous said...

I thought Harry Potter was more entertaining that Friends, but I never saw an entire episode of either. Friends wasn't at all funny, and Lisa Kudrow was the only really good looking chick on it. The other two were butt-fugly skank hos. Ptooey!

Anonymous said...

you are right, I offer a complete and utter retraction...

your book better not suck dude!!

scribe said...

No pressure.

Anonymous said...

if i sucks im going to be so disappointed...and maybe even pissed...and sad...