I’ll tell you the real reason we needed a more leftwing president in the Oval Orifice: This rampant traditionalism needs to stop immediately. People are becoming way too into the whole marriage and children thing and it is truly disgusting.
Here’s why: Only an idiot, a whopping moron, a simpering simpleton, a vapid nimrod, a useless lump of flesh, a special needs savant, a Republican or a nondenominational Protestant doesn’t recognize marriage for what it really is. Simply put, it’s an artificial system designed to maximize social control while insuring economic stability and future generations. Yes, most of us fall in love with someone at least once (five times a month in my case) and can’t see ourselves without him or her, but mating for life is not the same thing as marriage.
You see, kids, marriage is a legal definition for two people who have apparently decided enjoyable sex is no longer a necessity or, at the very least, that doing it with more than one person might be fun and fun is the tool of Satan. In the words of Mike Meyers’ Wayne form the epic Wayne’s World films, “Marriage is punishment for shoplifting in some countries.”
However, thanks to an AIDS scare and a raging neo-con religious fanatic in the White House, my fellow Gen-X’ers and their younger counterparts decided to go all neo-traditional on our asses. This has resulted in a nauseating culture of whiney soccer moms and wimpy husbands who think they’re manly. It is the former that annoys me most of all.
Many women have taken a giant backseat, thereby pissing on the many years of feminist activism that accomplished little things such as the vote, career advancement and the ability to wear pants to work. By opting to stay home and be new school June Cleaver’s, a message has been sent to the Right that this is the natural state of things and everything else was a failure. Anything that makes the accomplishments of the Sixties look bad makes them look good and these mindless adherents are doing all their footwork for them.
Despite several pieces written by me decrying marriage as a form of indoctrination, I don’t take issue with the institution itself. For some, it is a beautiful union of two morons hopelessly in love. For others, there’s some involvement on the part of God because apparently he/she really gives a rat’s ___ what you do in your private life and doesn’t have enough work on his/her desk to cause a sufficient distraction. That’s why I’m starting a “Give God More to do” movement…more on that to come…
Meanwhile, people continue to disgust and annoy me with their overly sentimental marriage behavior. Here are a few of the more obnoxious examples I have encountered or heard about:
A former co-worker whose hair looks like a helmet, an obvious former reformed ho who answers her cell phone with a loud and sickeningly sweet, “Hello, my husband!”
A guy written about on this very blog whose much younger wife wouldn’t listen to him, prompting him to yell, “I am your HUSBAND and you will listen to me!”
A former supervisor whose obsession with being married causes constant and sometimes repulsive conversations at inappropriate times. For instance, “Well, you know ___ loves a pierced ahem.”
Another former co-worker whose vampiric allergy to sunlight was overshadowed only by her constant introducing of her spouse as “My husbaaaaannnnnnnnnnnndddddddd Ronnnnnnnnnnn.”
Women who don’t even refer to their husbands by their names, choosing instead to call them “Husband” or “Hubby.” So now it’s not, “Joe wants to go there,” it’s “Husband wants to go there.” They are either oblivious or unconcerned when it comes to the reactions this shit causes.
But the most offensive of all are the ones that call in for their spouses and wanna get all bad-assabout it like they’re ready to go to blows if you don’t like it. What the hell is that all about? One case in particular comes to mind where the guy called in for his wife and basically went on this diatribe about how she was sick and he was forbidding her from going to work and that was that and if there was any problem with it the supervisor could call him and discuss it with him personally.
Excuse me? Can you imagine Scribe getting that call? Let’s role-play for a moment, shall we?
HUBBYKINS:…So if there are any questions or problems, you can discuss it with me.
SCRIBE: Well, we might as well do that now.
HUBBYKINS: Excuse me?
SCRIBE: I’m not quite ready to excuse you yet. I guess my first question is why are you speaking to me as if you’re my employer?
HUBBYKINS: I’m just letting you know that my wife…
SCRIBE: Yes, I know she’s your wife. I’m pretty sure the whole world knows she’s your wife. So I’m wondering why you feel comfortable putting her job at risk by coming across like a bully-boy instead of simply calling in sick on her behalf.
HUBBYKINS: Is there going to be a problem with her being sick?
SCRIBE: With her being sick? Of course not. With the threatening and authoritative tone of her husband’s call-in? Maybe.
HUBBYKINS: Well, I wasn’t…
SCRIBE: A simple “She’s sick and won’t be in” will suffice from now. Have a great day, Huuuusssssbaaaannnnnddddd.
I know I’m weird and I’m cool with that but I don’t like it when people think they can speak for people in a hostile or overly controlling way. I also don’t care for women who let it happen out of some perceived need to be protected from everything. And I really hate people who allow themselves to be sheltered like small children.
I realize this thing has its roots in the single parent household phenomenon of the late Seventies and Eighties. Divorced parents were so common when I was a kid it was nearly impossible to find an intact husband & wife combo if the kid was out of single digits. In response to that, many members of Degeneration-X decided to rebel against the rebellion by taking a more traditional path. A collective of colossal bores, we are thankfully one of the smallest generations in U.S. history. Sadly, the twenty-somethings directly behind us are even more mindless rule followers.
All of us follow our programming to some extent. Few of us break the programming in favor of new sub-routines. But would it kill people to take a step back and try to objectively look at themselves?
Yes, of course it would. That’s why those bumper stickers say, “People Suck.” We’ve become such a media-saturated consumer culture that we can no longer see beyond the next plasma screen TV. Half of us let a 2000-year-old culturally irrelevant manifesto for revolution tell us what to do and think and the other half go along to get along.
People in this country may think they’re more socially responsible and substantial than previous generations, but stumbling around in the dark for a light switch during a lightening storm only amounts to stupidity~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I just need someone to take out the trash and clean my gutters and fix stuff. But I wouldn't marry him. Nope didn't work for me, hated it, Marriage is something that is NOT on my agenda.
You mean you don't want a guy who takes every tiny opportunity to show how much of you he owns? SOCIALIST!!!
Marriage is what you make of it. Some marrages work extremely well (like my grandparents who almost reached their 70th anniversary, and my parents who celebrated 40 years in 2008.
Then there are marriages (like mine was) which are great for a while and then grow sour quickly and need to be ended.
Then there are marriages between two people who have no business getting married in the first place. These marriages usually end up in divorce within 2 years or less.
For the most part I enjoyed the challenges of being married and would do it again in a heartbeat if I could find the right woman.
This isn't about if marriage works, it's about those people that feel the need to throw it in our faces in an aggressive manner.
or in the words of the b-52s...
Don't need a man to treat me mean.
I need a man to help me clean!
Someone who's heaven sent.
Someone to help pay rent.
Someone to share dreams and wishes.
Someone to help to do the dishes!
Most married men live like every day is Halloween. They might wear the scary mask of hubby, and good xian at home and on Sundays.
But late at night when the old bag, and the screaming babies are sleeping, daddy rips off his mask. He goes to his nearest ho's house, and makes her see God!!! HE puts a pearl halo around his angel's head and sighs.
Then he drives home like a mother fucker to catch Dave's Top 10.
I work with three women who have been married for year, one of them has been married probably 40 years. It never ceases to amaze me that every move they make, every thing they buy, every plan they make, right down to what they have for dinner all centers around what their "hubby" says or wants.
What happens to a womens personality and decision making process after so many years of marriage? I just don't get that. I would be so bad at marriage.
I'd be like "Steak? you want steak? fuck you I want chicken so we're having chicken and by the way I'm gonna be late so cook it yourself and I'll be home at 7"
Bluez... LOL This was so classic! "I'd be like "Steak? you want steak? fuck you I want chicken so we're having chicken and by the way I'm gonna be late so cook it yourself and I'll be home at 7" "
BWHAHAHA!!
I'd have to agree... that shit is annoying. I hardly ever refer to Mikey as husband unless it's someone I don't know very well who needs a point of reference.
"Mikey who?"
"My husband"
"Oh."
See... simple. Marriage was never a "goal" for me and Mikey, we did it more as an afterthought. Seriously... it was easier legally and I've never changed my last name. How's that for forward thinking! ;)
I think that me and Mikey are what we are. *Look at me thinking objectively* And no, I don't always look like that when I'm thinking.
Scribeypants-this rant is a clever ruse-clearly you are jealous and want to be married more than anything in the whole world...
Bluez Cluez,
There are actually women who don't appreciate a man who prefers women with their own personalities. I was shocked to find that out. My outrage at women who waste their college degrees on child raising and never contribute anything else has been criticized repeatedly. As far as the steak comment LOL if the guy learns how to cook, maybe he could surprise her with steak and she might be more inclined to do the same. Or I guess he could marry some brainless dumb-ass like your co-workers.
autumn of my heart,
But you just pointed out the key modifier...you wrote "MY husband." he is your husband, but his name isn't Husband, These broads refer to them that way...I heard a rich bitch do it today at a dealership. she said, "I'm on the phone with husband at work." GAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Post a Comment