Tuesday, May 6, 2008

UNSPOKEN:

I never got to finish what I wanted to say. Or maybe I just chose not to finish it. We were talking about this unjust universe and whether or not “God” is to blame. You seemed to get the idea that I literally blamed God for the human condition, as if I viewed him as the quintessential absentee landlord, with apologies to Al Pacino.

The conversation, as I recall, began with me lamenting the fact that we live in a world where my mother, a woman virtually free of bigotry and hate, suffered horribly and died 5 days before her 55th birthday while others live on to healthy old age. By “others,” I meant evil old monsters in human form.

Your viewpoint, valid insofar as it cannot be disproved, was that everything happens for a reason and we are all allotted a specific amount of time on this mud-ball. Everyone has a purpose, you said, and we only have a so much time to fulfill it.

I said people only tell themselves that to justify a world that has no justice in it. My use of the word “justice” confused you, so I broke it down by describing the mentality as desperately seeking reasons for things that already have less spectacular causes, i.e. childhood Diabetes is a disease that is genetic, not a curse from the gods. I went on to say that the idea that all that happens is God’s will is BS, and if true, God is insane and Buddha was correct when he said God is even more deluded than we are.

This prompted you to reply with the tried ‘n true “You have the right to your beliefs & so do I” comment. My reply: “We all do. And we are both probably wrong.”

You seemed to think I blamed God for what happened to my mother. I don’t blame God, I told you. I blame childhood Diabetes. I am disgusted that certain evil people get to live while my mother did not. The God stuff was just a metaphor. I’d have to believe in him for it to be more than that.

Ultimately, you agreed with me that those who are most evil seem to survive into old age. Your theory was that they become that way because they have to live in a decaying shell. Mine was that old age returns us to our natural state sans all the political correctness and veneer of civilization. Maybe we are both right.

But there was something else. Something I didn’t tell you. Something I didn’t feel comfortable adding because I would have been embarrassed.

The real reason I can’t believe in a grand design or a just and righteous creator-deity is because I refuse to accept that it would torment me by causing me to meet you and not be able to go any further than that.

See why I didn’t say it?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

you meeting someone and not being able to take it any further might be the mercy of God, everyone you meet and are attracted to isn't necessarily someone you should have in your life, i mean shit look at you and EFB...

might be a blessing in disguise...

just another way to look at it, people often aren't what they seem...

lccb81 said...

yes, some people are not what they seem but you're still crazy, anonymous.

scribe, I'll mend that broken heart... :)

Anonymous said...

good thing im not butt ugly ;)

lccb81 said...

*trying not to burst out laughing*

um, I'm glad I don't take things personally.

And am comfortable in my own skin.

And don't take myself that seriously.

And know how to sign in to blogger and don't need to hide behind an anonymous title.

Anonymous said...

well, then i must completely apologize then...

in the first place, i didn't know scribe was talking about you in his post, I wasn't sure if it wasn't just a writing exercise...

secondly i must apologize if you thought when I wrote "people often aren't what they seem" that I was directing that at you (lets not be sensitive) or anyone else, I wasn't, I was just being general...

that quote certainly doesn't apply to you, you seem disgusting,look disgusting, act disgusting and live a disgusting life...you are exactly what you seem-disgusting.

I didn't come over to SCRIBES BLOG to comment towards you, about you or with you...so don't worry about my anonymity...If I wanted to converse with trash I would go over to your blog and leave you comments.

All anyone really needs these days is a little common sense. I'm sorry you don't take yourself that seriously, maybe you should.

lccb81 said...

Well, then I guess I have one less regular reader. Sad.

Anonymous said...

*passes girl a tissue*

there there now don't be sad, just don't be bothering with people who don't want to bother with you, thats all, just call it a lesson learned:)

Anonymous said...

Ummm

Nice eloquent post scribe. Funny how your posts get off track with comments. I knew who you were talking about, in fact, I think I offered to book a flight for you.

Timing is everything ain't it??

lccb, we love you :-)

Just Because 81 said...

I actually know it's not about me, bluez... besides, as anonymous so eloquently pointed out the man lives with a girl, though girlfriend might be an... ah... optimistic? term.

When scribe is completely unattached we'll might do more than flirt on cyberspace.

I love you too bluez. I have plenty of love to go around. :) Being such a skank an all.

Anonymous said...

i love it when people start shit then play the victim....more than that though, i love it when thoroughly fucked up people call other people crazy....the irony isn't lost on me....lmao :)

scribe said...

Moving right along...

DaBich said...

I see trash is being recycled here.

Anonymous said...

There is a 12 step program for people who can't cope with conflict. lmao.

DaBich said...

Toxic waste even.

scribe said...

all quiet now.





all quiet now.

DaBich said...

Not for long...toxic waste creeps on ya all the time.