Tuesday, June 30, 2009

SOMETHING STUPID WORTH SHARING

So now that my book is out although not technically available for public purchase (soon to change considering I have a signing coming up) there has to be at least one stupid-ass comment regarding the whole thing. And who better to embody that great honor than the mother of the one formerly known as EFB.

She turned to her daughter one day and basically said now that I am being published, maybe I'll become successful at it some day. That's part not stupid, you say? Yes, I know that! It's called a build-up. How 'bout shutting the hell up and letting me finish? Sound good? You know I love you...

Anyway, she went on to say that maybe I'll become so successful that I'll be able to hire someone to do the writing for me and won't need to do it anymore so I can devote my time to other things.

I'm sorry, I need to repeat that: she went on to say that maybe I'll become so successful that I'll be able to hire someone to do the writing for me and won't need to do it anymore so I can devote my time to other things.

I don't think I've ever heard anything that stupid in regards to my field! HIRE someone to do my writing for me? Who am I, Paris Hilton? What real writer would find that even remotely appealing? Aside from William Shatner whose technically only dabbling in the craft, I only know of one other writer who did this and he isn't responsible for a high quality product.
Check him out here: http://www.donpendleton.com/

So what does this clueless, often evil woman think writing is anyway? A diversion, A hobby? She claims to understand creativity yet she thinks a person that strives for artistic expression and validation wants a staff doing the work for him so he can play Stan Lee and act like he's the great idea man?

To her credit, former-EFB said, "You don't understand. He enjoys writing."

She got it half right. It wouldn't matter if I enjoyed it or if it caused me to pull out my short and curlies. It's what I am and, like most writers, I can think of no greater death than doing so at my keyboard the moment after completing my best work.

"Hire someone" indeed! Maybe she should hire someone to think and speak for her so what she says will make some goddam sense!

4 comments:

Tim said...

WOW. Obviously she's never written anything of substance or know that you have to be passionate about it if you want to be good at it.

scribe said...

It's all about business to these supposedly"artistic" people.

Constant said...

... I think that's possible. Just get a recorder, tape all of your writings, and get a transcriber. Yeah... Like they do for conferences and isht...

scribe said...

LOL But I'd still be composing the novels...she is talking about having them do all of it.