Where is everybody? Have you deserted me?
I couldn’t help but notice the decreasing amount of comments lately and, since that’s the only way I can tell you’re reading my stuff, I have to assume people aren’t reading it like they used to. At first I thought this was caused by the reduction in frequency of my posts, but I put a stop to that quite a while ago.
So what is it? Have my tirades grown tiresome? Do I no longer bring up interesting topics? Have you moved on to, as they say in the workplace when someone quits in disgust, new adventures?
Maybe it’s a combination of all three. It saddens me to think that. I put a lot of work into this thing and have always attempted to entertain in the process of getting my thoughts out. It saddens me to think my three and a half year blogging experience is over.
Of course, when I write “over” I don’t mean it with the ringing sense of finality it implies. I do, after all, have a “professional” blog bearing my real name and a few other blogs to which I contribute. But this was the first and, let’s be honest here, best of them. Sure it’s now called “Redux” and I started it over last year, but those who have been reading Organized Chaos from the beginning remember the original one.
So what is it? I know I lost some people when I deleted the old blog, people I couldn’t locate via email. Newer readers seemed to be more fair-weather, stopping by briefly before fading again into the background of the so-called blogosphere. Thus my core readership, my “vultures” as I good-naturedly dubbed them in the early days, became even more important. With them now disappearing, I don’t think I have the energy, patience or time to recruit new ones.
Maybe it’s me, then. I don’t really seek out new blogs and new civilizations these days. I do comment on the blogs of my regular readers but that’s about it.
Some of those bloggers are MIA lately. They have lives and responsibilities and other pesky nuisances that prevent them from enjoying themselves. I understand. Only an idiot wouldn’t.
So what is it? Is it the subtle shift in tone? I was once told that the angrier, more miserable Scribe was more interesting. That kind’ve hurts. It implies that I was some kind of sideshow freak whose pain provided amusement. Now that I don’t seem so unhappy, the trained monkey is being ignored.
Honestly, I don’t know why I’ve been deserted. Unlike some, I’m not planning to stop blogging. This is something I’ve come to need, both as a writer and as a person who often feels unnoticed because of his real-life demeanor. But I might de-emphasize this blog’s importance. Maybe it’s time to move to those new adventures like the bitter ex-employees.
I wish I could say that filled me with anything resembling positive feelings. But I miss the days when a post of mine would receive so much response that the comments could reach 30 or more in a single day. These days I’m lucky to get six for the week.
What will happen when even those people stop reading?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
welcome to my world brotha, I just gave up. I still read your blog almost every day.
I'm not going anywhere, either. I still read both your blogs plus that really cool movie review blog that you co-contribute to. I used to have a sitemeter thingee attached to my blog. Perhaps I still do. I'm going to look into that again - it shows how many people access the pages of your blog even if they don't comment. You can even get email updates and stuff.
prisilly,
You probably won't be shocked to learnit was the posts you like least that caused people to start reading my other stuff. Thanks. Feedback is always appreciated, especially when it's honest and thoughtful.
bluezy,
Aww. I knew you hadn't deserted my ass.
green-jeans,
Really? I wasn't sure you read the other blog.
I would never desert you, you're far too amusing.
yeah, I do. I don't always have a comment to add, but whenever I see something new, I'll read it.
count me among the people who not so much have moved on, but have let life intervene. I barely ever post on my own any more, and find that my on line play time goes more to facebook than this whole blog thing.
That said, I'm glad you're not going anywhere.
If you need a sign to keep the faith, how's this: the word verification for this comment is (and i kid you not) "pant if".
For the record, Facebook is an interestng distraction but could never take the place of this.
Post a Comment