Monday, February 2, 2009

SCRIBE ON SPORTS & SPORTS FANS

I’m not really what one might call a guy’s guy. I don’t scratch and belch. I hate sports, for the most part, and to me a car is merely a functional means of getting from point A to point Z. But I’ve been to Point Me. (Sigh)

I’m not sure why that is but it’s undeniable. Ironically, I also don’t fit into that wimpy little shut-in stereotype either. In fact, it’s more difficult for me because my appearance indicates to most people that I am the proverbial guy’s guy.

All through middle & high school I was asked if I played football. I hate football. It’s a moron’s sport populated with psychotic, stupid, brutal lunatics who would be mowing lawns for a living if not for pro sports. I wont bore you with my theories on professional sports as a means of social control and brainwashing. Nor will I liken them to the gladiatorial games of centuries past, sick, demented exhibitions designed to demean human beings in the name of physical prowess.

And I for damn sure won’t go into the fact that they’re beyond the pale of homo-eroticism. Nope, not gonna, can’t make me…
Fags.

Besides, it’s not as if I hate all sports. Baseball has a certain measure of dignity to it and I used to love boxing before Don King and Las Vegas took it over. The Olympic games, although they bore me to tears, possess a certain dignity and majesty based mainly on their historic significance. But as far as actually living my life around such stupidities as sports statistics and idol worship of these meat-headed bubble-butts, that is a phenomenon that eludes me.

In fact, I’ll go a bit further and say I can barely contain the revulsion I feel when a bunch of guys jump up and high-five each other because some millionaire threw a ball in a net or knocked some other millionaire on his ass. Of course, if they’re football players, they knock each other on their asses for easy access for good old fashioned Roman style rubbing and slapping.

There are few places less interesting to me than sports bars and I grow furious on Sundays when I’m not working and don’t feel like reading or writing and there’s nothing on TV except a goddam sporting event that lasts for 8 hours because every 30 seconds is a commercial break or a cutaway to some grunting simpleton analyzing the way the MVP scratches his nuts before beating his wife!!!

I know I’m beating around the bush here, but I am not a sports fan. Last night was the Stupor Bowl. As of this writing, I couldn’t tell you who played, where they played or who won. I simply couldn’t care less. I don’t even care about the commercials because I hate those, too.

My fellow blogger and real-life dining companion K is going to kill me bloody, but I also despise hockey. At its core, I guess it’s not that bad of a sport, but the local obsession with it in my home state of Michigan has been so overwhelmingly obnoxious since the Nineties that the very mention of it causes me to soil myself with rage. Usually I’m just not paying attention when I soil myself.

I guess I’ll never understand how a majority black city like Detroit whose citizens have no interest in the sport and no representation on the teams could be referred to as “Hockey Town.” Nor do I understand how a Canadian sport is somehow identified with this crappy state I live in. Whatever. It’s just another example of the nonsense of professional sports.

Ironically, I enjoy movies about sports from time to time. Sometimes there’s nothing funnier than a comedy that takes place in the sports world. Wil Ferrel’s “Semi-pro” and Adam Sandler’s “The Longest Yard” remake were both hilarious to me. “Any Given Sunday” is a great drama and "The Natural" is a masterpiece. But there’s a personal connection to what’s happening in those films. The characters are usually likable and relatable in some way. In real life, these guys tend to be dicks with little to no socially redeeming value.

I’m generalizing, of course. Hockey players tend to be good guys and a lot of baseball players do as well. Maybe it’s the fans I dislike with the intensity of fifty suns simultaneously going nova. Nothing disgusts me more than sycophants who live vicariously through others. Which brings me to those fantasy league dorks. I don’t care how you dress it up or how much sports lingo you use, if you are part of a fantasy league, you are little more than a thinly disguised Dungeons & Dragons geek.

I have half a mind to put down my Magic the Gathering cards and tell them what I think of them but then I’d lose my mystical powers and have to start all over!

The bottom line is I don’t have much in common with the average guy. That doesn’t bother me in daily life, but it can be a hindrance professionally. If some executive gets in an elevator with me and wants to talk about the Michigan game, I have to fake my way through it like a male hooker, nodding and pretending to laugh like I know what the fuck he’s talking about. This has happened. I feel like an undercover operative among my own gender.

Some guys develop an interest in sports specifically as a way of getting ahead in life. I guess I’m not that guy. However, there is a bright spot to all of this besides the image of being playing with Magic cards. Woman tend to appreciate a man who doesn’t give a frog’s fat assabout sports.

Not all women, though. There are those annoying ones that like sports because they think it makes them more appealing to men. Then there are the women who genuinely enjoy sports, which is somehow even more annoying to me than the former. But for those women with just a passing interest in the occasional sporting event or none at all, I am king ding-a-ling. The day of the Stupid Bowl, a co-worker asked me what I was doing for the game. When I informed her I’m not a football fan, she looked like she wanted to swallow me whole.

And that makes the whole thing worth it. By being unlike most of the sweaty, belly-slammin’, screamin’, stats-knowin’, brawn over brains imbeciles out there, I have my own unique appeal. Because I’m also not a pencil-neck geek whose dislike of sports is obviously due to his physicality, it makes me look even better.

So, next time there’s an obnoxious sporting event, don’t worry guys. Your women will be safe with the Scribester~

9 comments:

American Guy said...

thank you. the perfect cure to the madness of our sports oriented cultures. (if anything, it's acutally worse in Oz - probably the one thing i don't like about living here)

cue the knuckle draggers who will now talk about why sports are a good thing and how some sports fans may be obnoxious, but certainly not them. I mean, it's not like they fill their blog about this stuff or anything...

pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

Oh man, wait til I get to class tonight, i got some comments for you buddy.

scribe said...

What? What I say?

Reality's Bitch Slappa said...

as da minista might say, sports is da method of da white man to degrade da black man by showin' how physically superior he be to da...white...hmmm. lemme rethink dat shit!

Tim said...

Of course, I like sports and I am far from a knuckle dragger as AG so eloquently put it.

Being a sports fan was ingrained in me from my youth. My dad was a huge Red Sox fan when I was a yute and it helped that the Red Sox played in the World Series in '75. I can't even tell you how many Red Sox gams I've been to in my life.

I didn't become interested in football until the season where the Patriots got stomped by the BEars in the mid 1980's and have been a fan ever since.

When I was in high school I was more into the Celtics than I am now, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching the NBA playoffs last season.

I tried to get into hockey but never really have, since I don't like much associated with winter. Watching the Bruins was never fun because they always were average or worse. I tried to get into it when the Bruins played the Oilers twice in the Stanley Cup finals in the late 80's early 90's. I even stayed up and watched the whole game that the Bruins lost to the Oilers in double overtime and that was bad. But since the Bruins are doing very well this season, I'll probably watch the NHL playoffs for the first time in years.

The Olympics are interesting to me in passing. I think the last time I paid attention was the '92 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France, as I played a small part in training the athletes on the US Luge team that year.

If you're going to be a sports fan in New England, this is the time to do it, with 3/4ths of the major teams winning championships this decade and the other team poised to make a run this year.

There's something catharctic about watching sports and rooting for your favorite team.

scribe said...

There's something cathartic about taking a dump, too, but you don't see me...Oh. Point taken.

pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

green-thanks for ruining the surprise lol

c nadeau & t johnson said...

Dammit, green! That woulda been better than actually sitting through the game!

c nadeau & t johnson said...

...