The Unites States of America is a nation built upon two negative and false premises: An unofficial caste system, and the false notion that a human being can “own” a piece of the Earth. This is a natural continuation of the European model of land barony and haves and have-nots that has filtered down into a supposedly free society for centuries.
Any good system of oppression depends heavily upon an “Us” & “Them” mentality, and no nation in the world has elevated it to fine art the way we have. Even slavery in American hands became an actual industry and a way of life. Genocide was a process. Indentured servitude was an “option.” Early on, the founding fathers realized euphemism was far more powerful than bluntness.
History has shown us that any system built upon the backs of others, be they African slaves, Natives, Chinese laborers, Irish indentured servants or Eastern European immigrants, will eventually have to face its past. Fortunately for most marginalized Americans, there’s a Constitution here that prevents things from becoming as bad as they are in countries such as Russia and China. But as a consequence of perceived freedom, an unofficial system of racial and socio-economic separation takes the place of the more overt variety.
And let’s be honest here. It was a very successful system for a long, long time. At least, it was for those who benefited from it. If you were a white male and from at least middle class background, you were sitting pretty. Any house of cards will eventually encounter a strong breeze, and these inherent feelings of superiority were a lit fuse burning down to the powder keg of righteous indignation and revolt. (Take THAT, Vh-1!)
Much like the peasants of France, the under-class woke up and realized it was being mistreated. In the case of the United States, lots of different groups of people woke up at the same time. This frightened the established order and bred a new paranoia that continues today. The fear of the OTHER is pervasive in American culture, despite protestations to the contrary. Feelings of guilt over past misdeeds has bred reluctance on the part of even the most open-minded to allow too much power to get into the hands of the oppressed. And in those cases where the OTHER acquires power (or, more accurately, is allowed to do so), the establishment feels the need to ensure they are acceptable and controllable. This country is run like a corporation.
Nothing rankles the collective fur of upper Middle class and wealthy whites more than some uppity minority out for their own self-interest and stealing their thunder; this includes women, by the way. Somehow it’s all right when they are for their self-interests, however. “Majority” rule is an interesting and oft misunderstood concept. For those in power, the definition seems to be flexible and pliable. It can mean the majority decides a particular outcome by virtue of providing more votes. However, in reality, majority rule tends to mean the majority creates all the rules.
One of those rules involves controlling public perception. Early indoctrination and constant reinforcement are invaluable tools for achieving this. Again, think of the companies you work for and the way they wear down your individuality until you accept their “philosophy.” Think of how well this works on people who are adults with often years of experience to the contrary in their pasts, and then imagine it being done to you since you were born not in just one building but everywhere you go.
The very nature of the self-fulfilling prophecy is to make sure external influences are strong enough to ensure the puppet in question does as it is told. Thus we wind up with the gangsta or the welfare-dependant family or the soccer mom or the blind patriot. Archetypes are more valuable to a controlled society than thinkers, which I have always believed is the real reason for the anti-intellectualism that runs rampant in the U.S. Thinkers in America only serve one purpose: To make or improve upon things that benefit corporations.
What amazes me most is the tendency of those in power to not see their actions as hypocritical. One would think at the very least they would acknowledge the nature of their behavior amongst themselves, but no. Their arrogance won’t permit it.
Case in point: The recent incident with Democratic presidential candidate Barrack Obama. Neo-cons were waiting, no, they were salivating in anticipation of something they could use against this undeniably popular politician that screamed “militant” since he threw his hat in the ring. That golden opportunity came in the person of one Reverend Wright, the quintessential angry negro whose mouth is like a stray bullet to the power structure. The kind of guy whose stubborn refusal to be silenced often causes him to say things that make everyone uncomfortable and, in some cases, say things strictly for shock value to freak out the squares. It also helps the neo-con cause that he ain’t playin’ with a fully loaded deck and doesn’t seem to know it.
Once his “Goddam America” sermon got out to the always accurate and complete Youtube, the negative backlash began. Finally there was something to point to and say, “Militant negro!!! Un-American! Sound the alarm. He doesn’t even pin flags on his lapels when he’s in public!” Obama’s response was rather lame, to be sure, claiming he wasn’t aware of Reverend Wright’s political beliefs. How could he not be? The guy screams his views every chance he gets! Wouldn’t surprise me if he used funerals as a platform. I’d venture to guess a large percentage of Protestant ministers do this as a matter of course.
The interesting thing is the fact that hardly anyone mentions the fact that ol’ John Wayne McCain Bush the III has a minister, too. And his minister blamed the horrible cataclysm in New Orleans on homosexuals. He also called for a Christian equivalent of a fatwa, saying it was time to basically wipe out all the Muslim infidels. McCain took money from this frothing psycho, but hardly a thing was said. Why? Simple: There is a double standard.
When a man of color attends a church run by a man of color whose beliefs run toward militancy, he must be a militant himself. He couldn’t possibly be anything else. That would pre-suppose that there are more than two types of black people, a viewpoint that flies in the face of all the social conditioning Americans, including blacks, have been subjected to for so long. Therefore, logic dictates that Obama’s attending of this church means he is down for whatever Wright has to say. If he’s not one of the “good ones,” he is one of the undesirables.
On the contrary, conservative whites will be the first to tell you there are many, many different types of whites. And most conservative whites will tell you, if you get close enough to them, about that one racist friend or family member or spouse who most definitely isn’t them who is always making those horrible comments. Naturally, bigots should be allowed to say and feel whatever they want as long as they’re not nailing somebody to a burning cross, so they are rarely put in check. But the person you’re talking to certainly doesn’t agree with what they say, although he or she did make a good point about…
Basically, McCain can have that scary/crazy/creepy/drooling nut-job in his list of associates because when he claims he didn’t know the guy or agree with him, despite photos and political donations to the contrary, others of his kind are prone to believe him. Obama, with his brown skin and suspiciously Arab-sounding name must be an agent of socialist overthrow, a Manchurian candidate for the under-class. Fear him! Put up a flag! Sing a horrific national anthem glorifying death and mayhem!
Now, obviously not everyone is falling for this BS. Obama would have never become the Democratic nominee without massive outpourings of white support. That’s why even if he loses, or God forbid wins and something horrible happens as a consequence, this is one of those rare moments in history that fill me with some measure of hope. The stupidity and arrogance of the current administration has awoken even the sleepiest among us. It’s about time.
Let’s brew some coffee and see what we can do about keeping them awake this time~

9 comments:
Can I have a donut with my coffee?
Seriously tho, looking over the candidates, I'd choose Obama over McCain. BUT...if Obama signs Hillary as his VP, I'm NOT voting Obama. I'll prolly go McCain. Unless I write in Rudy for Prez!
It's all a matter of choosing the lesser evil.
I was a big Obama supporter until this whole issue with his pastor came about, I think his pastor said a lot of truthful things. And all of the ttuthful things he said, Obama renounced to please the masses. This annoyed me to no end...so I'm probably not going to vote for him. I always liked Ron Paul anyway. I won't be sad if Obama wins though, he can do a lot for the horrible image this country has with the rest of the world and he's incredibly intelligent-besides its about damn time we had a black president.
Nice work here. I'd be interested in hearing your views on the Mideast conflict. No one likes to talk about that much, or if they do their responses are generic and one sided. You seem to have a penchant for digging a little deeper.
I despise Hillary but not enough to vote for that madman McCain.
I can't fault a politician for appeasing the masses, it's the only way they get elected. Sometimes you have to say what you're told to say if you want to get in and make a difference. Ron Paul says a lot of groovy things but I believe him to be a closet racist and, frankly, I don't trust his mental state anymore than I do McCain's. Paul seems to do things so he can say he does them. Also I have the same problem with him I ahve with Libertarians in general: His almost religious devotion to the Constitution as it was written without any apparent flexibility to adapt it to the times. Just my impression of the man.
Pass me one of those donuts, Dabich...
Let the royal courtship commence!
I'm awfully interested, but I think I'd be disappointed if HC is chosen as the running mate after all of the drama in the primaries. It's hard to take the combo seriously after that.
Whether Obama chooses HRC for VP or not, I'll be voting for him. A vote for McCain is a vote for the same policies that Bush used to bring us where we are today: In deep-shit. Unless Ron Paul runs as an Independent, he won't be on any general election ticket as McCain is already the GOP nominee. As a third party candidate, the "unelectable" Ron Paul would only succeed in stealing votes from Obama, since his followers are so anti-Bush/McCain.
what Rudy said....
constant,
Actually, if they did it just right, an Obama.Clinton ticket could work. They would have to acknowledge their differences and be honest about them, though. sorry, I wanted to go on but I am laughing too hard.
"I believe him to be a closet racist"
I've been hearing the same about Michelle Obama,I believe none of it. I've been doing my research on Paul, I never got that impression and I can spot a racist a mile away.
"Also I have the same problem with him I ahve with Libertarians in general: His almost religious devotion to the Constitution as it was written without any apparent flexibility to adapt it to the times. Just my impression of the man."
I have to disagree with this idea strongly, since the Constitution has so many amendments and all...and sound provisions for further amending.
"I can't fault a politician for appeasing the masses, it's the only way they get elected. Sometimes you have to say what you're told to say if you want to get in and make a difference."
This is true until someone has the audacity to hope and changes the system. That's change I can believe in:)
Rudy,
You want to know something crazy, most of the Republicans I know actually prefer Paul to McCain. So how the hell did he get the nom? Rhetorical question.
Our elections are bought and sold, I'd like to see a true election some time in my lifetime.
Some lying sack of Hillary McCain crap named Larry johnson started the Michelle Obama said racist comments, and used the oh so ugly slur of "whitey." *GASP* This so-called Democrat has a blog full of faux Hillary supporters. They're obviously McCain backers who've found a gullible little man. He even "quotes" "credidible" sources who have seen the jaw dropping video he promised to post days ago.
He STILL hasn't posted a vid.
Here's the dirt on Lj:
www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2008/06/michelle-obama-whitey-rumors.php
Post a Comment