Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A SCRIBE IN HIBERNATION?

I’m stuck in this weird creative phase where I have ideas but I don’t want to do anything with them.

I’m not sure what to make of it. Normally, when I’m not writing, it’s because I am uninspired and unable to force my way through a work in progress. This time things keep coming to mind and just staying there. As of this writing, there are 3 main ideas in my head to be completed and one novel that is more than halfway finished. The other three are the first 30 pages of a novel I think might be my best work, and two short stories.

Lately, my inspiration is coming from strange places. The most recent came when I saw a homeless woman in summer walking around in full weather gear. People who know me might not be surprised that the first thing that came to mind was, “What would it be like if someone was madly in love with this woman?”

Then, of course, the next logical question came to mind: What if she wasn’t what she seemed, and everybody except the lovesick protagonist knew it? A story like that can only be told from one of two perspectives: Either the lovesick puppy himself, or someone who can’t believe how it all wound up. I went with the former and got almost 4 pages written before I stopped. Sadly, it was flowing nicely but the demands of a 40-hour workweek forced me to go to bed in the middle of my inspiration and it has yet to return.

Maybe I am still disappointed and disgusted with the events recounted in previous posts concerning my publisher. Within a week, I had gone online to research other venues for short fiction to submit some of my other work. This seemed to make her nervous but so be it. I can’t sit still anymore and, besides, short story submissions don’t affect the novel in any way whatsoever. In fact, published short fiction can only increase my marketability.

But I have to finish a story first. Blank white paper doesn’t inspire confidence in most editors. They’re weird that way.

I do have some older short stories I’ve been thinking of submitting and have even had some recommendations in that direction. I might dig those up and see what I can salvage. Any writer who goes back and looks at something they wrote seven years ago and feels it doesn’t need any modification is a fraud. I don’t mind improving older work, but I can’t seem to find the motivation for that either.

I wish I knew why. I wish I could point to a single incident and say, “This is the reason.” But I can’t. Maybe someone else can.

I must confess I’m a bit burned out on writing in general. There are days, more often than not lately, when I consider giving it up completely. One can only bang one’s head against a wall so many times before they either pass out or realize the ramming isn’t accomplishing anything worthwhile.

I’ve been told I’m a natural storyteller, whatever the hell that means. It sounds like a compliment, though. People do seem to find it interesting when I am relating actual events in print, as evidenced by the two incarnations of this blog.

Could it be that the nearly instant gratification received from posting here has ruined my ability to be patient and await publication? It’s possible. I’ve become rather spoiled by this particular outlet. Sadly, it isn’t even a forum what I consider my best work.

But I’m pretty sure there’s more to the “story.”

I think I’m tired, burned out, exhausted. I think I have reached the limit of my legendarily lengthy patience. I have done all that was required of me and more. This has been an overall decent year for me, but there have been a few blows and light upper cuts to my resolve that have shaken me. Both private and professional lives have been subject to no small measure of disappointment this year.

In the “old days,” such experiences were what inspired me to write. That’s still the case to a certain extent, but I am getting older and my perspective has shifted a bit. One of the favorite quotes is, “Time is the fire in which we burn.” Supposedly I have quite a few years left barring any accidents, but time marches ever onward while I watch it go past.

One can only write about that so many times before tiring of the theme. It isn’t as if I don’t have plenty of other forms of inspirations. Certain people who shall remain nameless seem tom have taken it upon themselves to provide it for as often as possible, a fact for which I am exceedingly grateful. I just can’t seem to do much with it these days.

Well, anyway I just felt like sharing something dull about myself. I know this isn’t up to par with my more dynamic and highly info-training posts, but I needed to get it out.

Thanks for listening~


-Scribe

8 comments:

K~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K~ said...

My Dearest Scribe~
You already know my opinion of your writing I've been a fan for a long long time.
I was honored to be one of your Editors as well.
But my dearest even the best writers of our times have had periods of frustration, disappointment and burnout.
Even you are allowed to take a break.
You have a way of turning the most mundane things and making them interesting if not funny.

So take a step back and breathe!

The problems with your current publisher might cause for pause to consider seeking other venues to publish with.
Just a thought.

And my dear friend you are far from dull. You put more color into this world than this world can possibly handle.

And don't make me get that song out...~ya gotta be bold you gotta be stronger~ ... :)

DaBich said...

HUGZ!
Hang in there Scribey. It will pass. Then you'll be blazing again.

~AprilD said...

((Hugs)) Hopefully it will lift soon.

Maybe it's like... [Start irrelevent story now] finding someone to date. When I was in high school I went through a period where all the guys I liked or wanted to date were taken or just didn't want to date me. So, I swore off all guys. Told myself I'd go 2 months without thinking about a boy or a date... whatever. Wouldn't you know, in a few weeks I met the boy who I'd spend the next 4 years with. I told my friend the same thing, when she had trouble getting pregnant again. I said just wait, it'll happen when you least expect it... and it did.

So, maybe set a rule - no writing at all... no notes... nothing new you haven't already pushed out there to get published - for however long. See if some inspiration doesn't hit you then.

Oh! Wait! Except for this blog! I couldn't live without new posts here! ;)

Tim said...

Maybe you could call it "Scribernation!" LOL

Burnout happens every now and then to the best of writers. Hang in there and you'll come out of it.

Maybe you'll find an idea or two here.

SO has the novel been published yet? What's the holdup now????

scribe said...

"Scribernation" is now in my vocabulary. Also, some truly creepy shit recently occured that has inspired me to write accordingly. Not that that changes much...moving right along!

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps some liquid scribation would help aka a glass or two of the old fat bastard!

Don't think about it so much and it will go away.

I think. WTF do I know anyway...

scribe said...

bluezy,

You read my mind, if not my groin. One entire bottle of Chardonnay later I am writing again...sorta.