SCRIBE: How can I help you today?
CUSTOMER: I need to cancel my account and pay all the termination fees.
SCRIBE: Sorry to hear you want to cancel but I’ll be happy to assist you. May I ask the reason for the cancellation?
CUSTOMER: My wife left me with 3 kids and I…can’t…afford to… (Sobbing)
SCRIBE: Oh! OK. I’m sorry to hear that. Was there any way you might want to hold onto at least one of them for emergencies just to avoid the fees?
CUSTOMER: No..I…just…I’m too busy trying to keep my house, man. (More sobbing) I have to cut all my expenses and just pay you guys what I owe you.
SCRIBE: We can suspend the lines without billing for 90 days if that helps…It doesn’t really sound like it will, though.
CUSTOMER: No. She left me for another guy. Sh-she’s not coming back! (Even more sobbing)
SCRIBE: Oh, wow. OK. Well, I will definitely go ahead and start setting up that account to terminate. Are you aware of the per line charge for early termination?
CUSTOMER: I know it’s, like, 200 bucks but I can’t… (Sobbing yet again)
SCRIBE: Well, it’s not quite that much! Do you mind if I take a look and see what the total in termination charges will be?
CUSTOMER: No (sniff, sniff)
SCRIBE: Thank you.
(I look at the account. Holy crap! This guy just renewed all his lines, meaning the early termination fees reset! 2 lines will be 165.00 each, and the other two will be 170.00 each! 670 bucks in fees not including his current balance of 150.00!)
CUSTOMER: OK, that’s fine.
SCRIBE: Just so you know, if you change your mind within 90 days and reactivate the account, you can get all those fees credited back to you.
CUSTOMER: She's not coming back.
What choice did I have but to terminate his account? I know I tried everything possible to keep him from going further into massive debt, but he was coming from a place of pure emotion. There's no reasoning with someone in that state. I know I made every attempt possible, but this one has stuck with me ever since~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
dayum....that really blows chunks. I would really feel for the guy, too. but hey, what could you do? you tried to help the poor fellow out.
those freakin termination fees are insane. Its like getting a divorce, in fact I think divorce is cheaper!!!!
A divorce is cheaper if you don't go the lawyer route (doubtful with kids) and all you have to do is pay the court and filing fees. About $500.00 if I remember correctly.
sucks to be that guy.
nice try to help him out, though.
You should have asked for his eyes or a limb or something. You probably would have gotten it....
poor guy...
I have to disagree on the termination fee point. From the outside they may seem "insnae," but consider this: Once you have signed a 2 year contract, that company is depending upon a certain level of revenue from you for that period of time. If you break contract, even the early termination fee is a mere pittance compared to what they would have made had you remained for the whole 2 years.
rudy,
lmao!!!
Sprint tried to penalize my hot, sweatty ass for breaking a contract. I told them the contract was broken when their service failed when I needed it and that I should sue them for their incompetence. They dropped it.
Now, H.Rudy Ericson has a VERIZON cell phone, and high speed DSL. Anyone who cell phones with another company is getting reamed. In a bad way, I mean. I still can't figure out how to post pix from my high pixel, high quality phone/cam - cam/phone...whatever. I'd gladly give myself to anyone who could help.
Holy shit!!!
Look at who has the longest comment on this thread so far.
That's right it's me, H. Rudy friggin Ericson- Blogger, stud, and VERIZON cell phone customer.
I AM the King.
Rudy just send the picture you take with your phone to your email address then download it and BAM. Post that sucker. Besides, we'd all love to see what the real Rudy looks like. :-)
see now, if there was i way, I'd have been tempted to 'accidentally' remove the fees from his account.
Don't you have any leeway for waiving fees is special circumstances. I've found it's often possible to get large faceless corporations to bend their rules if you know how to ask for it. Or are these mobile phone complanies even more evil than the average bear?
yeah, what Bluez said!
AG ~ You'll get Scribey fired!
Rudy,
That's funny. VZW wouldn't have dropped it, but Sprint is known for providing poor service. And don't listen to Bluez! She is old schoolin'! There is a better way- email me for the sexy details.
AG,
You can't make the fees disappear. Credits that large roll up to a supervisor for approval. Even someone with a high credit limit like me would've only been able to credit one of 'em. There are circrumstances where they are waived, but infidelity ain't one of 'em.
Madge,
Don't worry, I'm known as one of the stingiest mofo's in that place when it comes it credits.
Post a Comment