As I mentioned before, “running” customers entails going from home to home, banging on windows and doors until someone comes out and lets you in to snatch up the merchandise they haven’t been paying for.
Basically, the rent-to-own business preys on the poor for its profits. Some might say they provide a service to those without the means to obtain these items through other means, but some ain’t me and some can kiss my two-toned ass!
During my first few days with the new store, I became acquainted with the running procedure. The first store is newer and in a better area so I never had the opportunity to experience it there. One of the first people I ran was the customer who came into the store yelling, “Black bitches can read!” Apparently, an agreement was reached for her to surrender anything she currently had (appliances, I believe) and stop being a customer. Jack the fearless whitebread avenger and I went to her house and he knocked and knocked. Naturally, no one came to the door, despite the fact that she had told the store to come out and get the stuff. We could see a TV light flickering in the window.
I took a lot of online trainings during my first week and all of them that dealt with running stated and restated not to pound on a customer’s door over and over. Nobody seems to follow that rule, however.
Once the knocking had proved pointless, a door hangar is placed on the customer’s doorknob advising to call the store right away and the experience is logged into the computer system. I was told that most people do not come to the door.
The next day I went running with a guy I will call “Ronnie,” a young, well-spoken black guy who sounds a bit like Wil Smith and has lips that make him look like a suction eel. Ronnie told me that standard procedure when making runs involves one person doing the knocking while the other one stands back and watches the windows to see if anyone looks out, thereby making himself a perfect target for some crazy asshole with a gun. (I added that last part)
The runs I went on with Ronnie both took place in the same apartment complex. The first one was a waste of time. The second one was the home of some chick named Ebony I had heard Ronnie calling daily to get her to make her payments. She had also called to have us come pick up her stuff but when we got there nobody came to the door. Ronnie decided to call her from his cell phone and she said she wanted to come in and make the payments, so we left.
Still at this point running seemed like a thing that was done as a CYA move more than anything else. I had yet to see anyone open the door and fly into a blind rage over start making threatening gestures.
That would happen the next day.
(To Be continued)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Waiting...
next part will take a while to get just right.
*ties a knot in her rope and hangs on*
LOL by the way I have three posts to go before I hit post 200 on this version of Organized Chaos...wait until you see what I saved up.
whatever it is, it oughtta be good!
it will shock and tittilate
Call it a personal belief... but I refuse to believe that tittilate is a real word.
still waiting... vultures are circling.
schib
:::throwing out some bird seeed for all the vultures:::::
LOL
But I just hope ya find a new job soon my dearest...around here is gonna be tough no matter how ya cut it.
Word Verification :UnFlee....guess I can't run eh?
The next post has to be just right in order to accurately capture what it was like.
Post a Comment